Monday, February 1, 2016

A New Addition to the Corner



Weight - 8lbs 7oz
Length - 20.5 inches.

As of 11/25/15, there was a new addition to Sweet Pea Corner - the little Pumpkin! He was born on a dark and stormy night at 7:52 in the morning. Wait... Okay, it was actually a dark and stormy morning when we left for the hospital for the C-section. But our little ray of sunshine broke into the world holding his head high and looking you straight in the eye. It is that directness and dignity that I hope are a sign of things to come in the little pumpkin's life. The nurse called him our little linebacker because of his broad shoulders. And he really was very alert. I remember it took the Sweet Pea about a day to even open his eyes but this big dude was focused and ready to go as soon as he was born. I think he knew he'd have to keep his wits about him if he wanted to survive living with a two year old.

My parents came and stayed with us to help ease the adjustment of another family member. They got to spend a lot of quality time with both boys and I'm grateful for their help and generosity. Adjusting to another newborn was a little bit easier for me this time around and I'm grateful for that as well though we're all still trying to get our bearings a bit.

Pumpkin, we've spent some time discussing how similar and different you are from your brother. Our conclusion? You are very, very different - from the military haircut you were born with and your wide crazy eyes, to your tapered fingers and long toes. You took a bit to get the hang of eating in the hospital but when you did...watch out! You gained over half a pound in the first week when most babies lose weight. Your body reminded me of a weightlifter's that focused too much on the upper body. Your head and torso are huge compared to your spindly little legs. I hope they catch up because I don't know how you are going to walk on those! Where your brother is a bit of a drama king, you seem to be more mellow and happy. You don't cry during diaper changes or clothes changes or baths and for your first month we thought you were going to be the easiest baby. Then month two happened but I will discuss that later. :) You are so alert and love looking around at everyone and everything and will look people right in the eyes. Your brother draws your attention frequently and I think you two will be great friends. You make a lot more baby noises than I remember your brother did - actual cooing which your brother deemed as hooting and called you a baby owl. Well, my friend, the description sort of fits you and you're the most adorable little owl.

It has been a bit of an adjustment keeping up with your brother and taking care of you at the same time but we're starting to get the hang of it. Right now you are such a mystery to me; I can't wait to see who you become. In the meantime, I will enjoy holding you and looking into your big, bright, crazy eyes!

Going home!
Love you little Pumpkin!

First bath!
First smile captured!
Surviving a Christmas hug
Pope Pumkin
Being Super Goo Baby is hard work

No comments:

Post a Comment