Thursday, December 19, 2013

Holy Water and HOLY, ICE!

Sweet Pea was baptized on December 8, 2013. This also corresponded with one of the worst ice storms in DFW history (at least my history in DFW). My family and Jess' family were planning on coming in to witness and celebrate this event in the little guy's life. Then the Icepocalypse hit. My parents came into town the night before the storm so they were only stuck at the hotel for most of the weekend - unbelievable! At least they got to spend some time with the baby and see how much he's already grown in just a month. (I can't wait to take him to Arizona some time this year - I hope.) The Atlanta contingency didn't have any problem with flights but David's flight was cancelled and delayed numerous times. He finally was able to get on a flight that arrived late on Saturday. We told Jess' family to not even attempt the drive - the roads were horribly dangerous and we didn't see the point in risking their lives for a 15 minute ceremony. Sweet Pea's Godparents, Bryan and Colleen, were great sports about making the trek to UD and we were fortunate enough to have Rachael, Donavon, their kids, along with my cousin Peter and one of his adorable kids, at the church as well. The ice remained until the middle of the next week and flights out were cancelled and delayed as well. I think it is safe to say that my family will not be travelling back to Dallas during the winter for years to come.

Sweet Pea was asleep through the entire Mass; therefore, he was wide awake and more than willing to cry during his entire Baptism. I was thinking we needed an exorcism instead. My mom helped me dress him in the gown that her grandmother had made into a Baptismal gown out of her wedding dress. Several generations in my family had worn the same gown and it is wonderful that he is now apart of that chain as well. Father Dan Dvorak did a great job and I think Jess and I were the only ones cringing and stressing out while trying to hush our newest little Catholic. All the crying wore him out (and maybe a bit of that sanctifying grace helped) and he slept for the next four hours straight. Go figure.

St. Luke and St. Andrew, please pray for our little guy. And welcome to the Body of Christ, Sweet Pea!








No comments:

Post a Comment